Monday, May 4, 2009

346th Place

I finished in a tie for 346th place in the weekend's NHC Tour Derby/Oaks contest, with a meager $13.60 bankroll. I was shut out on Saturday, as I imagine a lot of others were as well given Mine That Bird and some of the other not-easy-to-pick winners.

The contest winner ("Grindstone619") had $118, and the second-place finisher ("torufus") had $105.40. The 30th-place finisher, the last contestant to earn NHC Tour points, finished with $53.60.

I don't have a lot to say as far as a post-contest autopsy. I'm not crazy about these contests because when qualifying is a 2/650 proposition, luck means everything -- either you have a black swan day or you don't. Still, I'm sure Grindstone619 and torufus didn't expect to qualify, and they did, so maybe I'll be that person next time (or the next, or the next, or the next...).

6 comments:

  1. Hi,
    I'm Grindstone619, and I thought I'd take a moment to talk about the tournament trail. I qualified for the first time at Keeneland for the 2007 NHC contest. Then I skipped a year--I couldn't do anything in the five or six contests I played in. Then, last year, I played in the TVG fee online tournament and qualified in second place. This tournament I won this weekend (what happened to that guy that was ahead of me?), was the first win in any tournament for me, so I'm really excited. Last year, I got tour points too late in the year, but this year I'm going to try to build some points up. I want to tell you that I sometimes get too caught up in trying to hit mid to longshots, but this time, I stayed calm, and played several favorites that I thought couldn't be beat. That was a change for me--but, it worked. These are the horses I played:
    Cannonball-2nd, Complicity-X, Cool Coal Man-2nd, Orthodox-1rst (longshot), Flying Spur-X, Four Gifts-1rst, Visit-X, Informed Decision-1rst, Einstein-1rst, Pioneer Of The Nile-2nd. I usually always bet Grindstone's prodigy, but as a handicapper, I just couldn't see a single positive thing about Mine That Bird. I hope your luck picks up, and that you stay true to your gut feelings in the races, and I hope to meet you in Vegas. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thanks for checking in and congrats on your win. How did you land on Orthodox?

    ReplyDelete
  3. terry who did you end up when sugar mint scratched?

    ReplyDelete
  4. cool blog. good luck in your quest. is there a contest at monmouth on may 23rd?

    ReplyDelete
  5. May 23 starts Monmouth park's "Survival at the Shore" online contest, which goes through the meet and awards one seat to Vegas. I don't think Monmouth holds any regular contests until July.

    ReplyDelete