Wednesday, July 15, 2009

What's Next?

With 2009 more than halfway over and my ticket to the 2010 National Handicapping Championship remaining just a figment of my imagination, I thought I'd look ahead and map out a tentative contest plan for the rest of the year. After all, despite my current paucity of discretionary income, I really need to take at least one more legitimate shot at making it to Vegas in January.

For starters, I will try my luck in Brisnet.com's contest on July 25, as well as the NHC Tour event on August 29. However, both of these are free, online contests, so I'd put them in the same category as my ongoing quixotic quest to qualify via Monmouth Park's 'Survival at the Shore' free online contest -- that is, lots of entries and not much better than a lottery-ticket chance of winning.

As far as real, in-person, money contests, I'm thinking perhaps I will take a crack at the Philadelphia contest in October or the Aqueduct affair in November. I would normally do Monmouth's late-August contest, and they are sending six to Vegas, but this year they jacked up the ante to $600. Barring a big score between now and then, that will be a bit out of my comfort zone.

So I'm that's where I'm at -- (1) keep with the free online contests and hope I get lucky; (2) try one more real money contest; and (3) try more than one real money contest if funds allow. I'm kind of hunting big game with a popgun here, but maybe I will surprise myself.

And of course, I am always on the lookout for the latest and greatest horse betting system and Breeders' Cup odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment