Monday, June 21, 2010

Back in Action

After a two+ month hiatus from the handicapping contest scene I made my storied return yesterday at Monmouth Park, entering a $100 ($40 entry fee, $60 bankroll, top finisher qualifies for Vegas) event.

I started out strong with a $10W bet on Elite Class in the 3rd at Monmouth, who won to the tune of $24. At this point I was living large and loving life in fifth place with a $170 bankroll, but then as (too) often happens to me in these damn things, the wheels came off the bus. I didn't pick another winner all day (0-for-8), and finished in a multi-way tie for last place with a $0 bankroll.

My biggest shot was Close to the Edge in the turf sprint, I put $40W and $15P, horse went off at 34-1. He had lots of run late but this is the Monmouth turf course (speed highway) we're talking about here, so while his late run was pretty, it was too little too late and he only finished 4th (moved up to 3rd on a DQ), a length and a half back or so. Quite possibly on a fair-playing turf course, Close to the Edge wins, maybe at 20-1 (assuming he was overlooked yesterday partly due to the turf speed bias that everybody knows about by now), but that's just speculation. I also liked Bella d'Oro at 16-1 in the 7th race, but she had some sort of equipment problem coming out of the gate which finished her. I will definitely look for that horse next time.

I wheel right back this weekend in the Belmont contest, yes this Jersey player finally signed up for an out-of-town affair. It should be interesting at the very least.

No comments:

Post a Comment