Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My Own Mini-Qualifier


I would like to play in the Saratoga Handicapping Challenge on Wed-Thu Aug 10-11. I have the days off work, I can afford it, and I think it would be a lot of fun while providing a decent chance to win some prize money (1/15) and maybe even an elusive NHC seat (1/50).

However, the $1,000 ante stopped me in my tracks. I had arranged for the days off on the expectation that the ante would be $400, as the two other NYRA contests are. I am still ahead a shade north of $4K this year thanks to a March windfall, so I can use some more tax-loss offsets, but there are still a bunch more contests to be played this year and $1K (more like $1,300 when you factor in transpo and one night's lodging) in one shot is just a bit out of my comfort zone.

BUT I have come up with a compromise idea. I'm tentatively planning to budget $150 for a track excursion one day next weekend (Jul 22-23). If I can somehow net $600 profit from said excursion, I will sign up for the Spa contest -- I was going to play that for a $400 ante, and $1,000-$600 = $400.

Realistically it's a longshot, as I'd say netting $600 profit with a starting bankroll of $150 is not much better than a 1-in-10 chance approximately. But it will make for an interesting day at least.

2 comments:

  1. Elite track, elite budget. I gather they'll have no problem getting 150 entrants at $1k per. That's probably why sites like NHC Qualify and BC Qualify can flourish, since $100 for a spot at an NHC berth is relative small potatoes.

    You also have July 31 at the Spa to accumulate wealth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Registration closes a few days before our 7/31 trip. It's the weekend before or bust baby!

    ReplyDelete